With the many products out there, we`re usually faced with a tough choice on how to find the best facial moisturizer for the right skin type. It`s made harder that you may not even know what skin you have. This post is about facial moisturizers, I will get back into skin types soon in another post in the near future.
Moisturizers prevent the dry and sensitive skin and improve the skin tone. It enhances the texture of your skin and helps mask the imperfections. A healthy skin is a well-hydrated skin.
In cases where the skin loses the moisture, the best ingredients in face moisturizer help in holding and retaining moisture in the skin acting as a protective layer for the skin, you should always choose high-performance face moisturizers that provide more than hydration but should give you that youthful and healthy glow.
There are different types of moisturizer for different types of skin, age and any skin condition you may or may not have. Amidst the large variety of moisturizers presently available in the market, offline or online, choosing the best face moisturizer becomes a difficult job.
In this article, we will discuss how to choose a good moisturizer for your skin. But before that, let’s understand why is moisturizer required for the skin.
- Moisturizing the skin helps make the skin soft, smooth, fresh and young looking.
- It gives the skin more elasticity.
- Moisturizers keep the skin hydrated.
- The moisturizer that contains SPF 15 is better for protection from the sun rays.
- Clean your face properly before moisturizer application.
- Best time to apply moisturizer is after a shower or a shave.
- Applying the moisturizer routinely at the same time each day helps treat the dry skin.
- Apply the moisturizer on a slightly damp skin.
- Apply the moisturizer using gentle strokes in an upward direction
Know Your Skin Type Before Choosing A Moisturizer
Knowing your skin type is important for choosing a right moisturizing product for your skin as the ingredients in the product reacts differently with different skin types and could be harmful to sensitive skin types if not checked carefully.
The types of skin depend on the skin hydration factor, the amount of oil and the sensitivity. The skin types can also change with time. There are 5 types of skins: Normal, Dry, Oily, Combination and Sensitive.
The Normal skin type is neither dry nor oily as it keeps a balance between the two. A normal skin does not suffer from imperfections, sensitivity, visible pores, and a dull complexion.
The Dry skin is lacking in the moisture. This skin type is affected by the outside environmental factors like weather change and also hormonal change. The dry skin has a dull and rough complexion. The pores are almost invisible, the red patches, and has less elasticity. This skin type gets itchy, irritated and could peel or crack.
The Oily skin has a greasy look and feel. This is due to the excess buildup of the oil. This skin type can have enlarged pores, a dull or shiny complexion, the blackheads, pimples, or other skin blemishes.
The Combination skin type is a blend of both dry skin and oily skin. The genetics and puberty influence this skin type. This skin type might show large pores, blackheads and a shiny skin.
The Sensitive skin type is more prone to allergic reactions, irritation and redness. The skin care products needed careful consideration while choosing them for such skin types.
Qualities Of A Good Moisturizer
- It is devoid of the harmful ingredients.
- It contains useful ingredients necessary for skin hydration and protection
- It is FDA approved
- It is free of fragrance-free, i.e. the synthetic scents.
- It gives protection from sun exposure and blocks UV rays.
- It contains ingredients that increase the freshness of the skin and make it look and feel young, soft, and smooth.
- It is non-comedogenic, i.e. it does not clog pores as it is oil free.
- It is hypoallergenic.
- It contains antioxidants such as green tea, pomegranate, chamomile, or liquorice root extract which help in keeping all skin types healthy and fresh looking. Antioxidants help combat the free radicals.
- It contains more natural products instead of chemicals.
- It is organic as organic products contain ingredients that are cultivated without artificial chemicals or pesticides.
- It is broad spectrum which is able to block both UVB and UVA rays.
- It contains parabens that give the skin care products a longer shelf life.
- It contains phthalates as they are endocrine disruptors.
Choosing Moisturizer According To Skin Type
For Normal Skin
A neutral moisturizer like this one that is light and non-greasy will suit this skin type as this skin type is neither too oily nor too dry. This skin type is the easiest to choose a moisturizer for.
For Oily Skin
The oily skin is susceptible to the harsh weather like cold, heavy winds or dry and warm summers. This skin types would work well with moisturizers that are oil-free and contain hyaluronic acid and glycerin. Check an earlier post on choosing moisturizers for oily skin here. Please note that skin care differs and what works for one person must not necessarily give the same brilliant results for the other person.
For Dry Skin
The dry skin benefits from the lotions and moisturizers which contain shea butter, jojoba oil, or coconut oil in them. Cream-based moisturizers are more suitable for such a skin type. The other ingredients that you can look for in a moisturizer for this skin type are urea, lactic acid, lanolin, the hyaluronic acid, dimethicone, or mineral oil. Check an earlier in-depth post on dry skin care.
For Combination Skin
This skin type benefits with the heavy-duty moisturizer like this one here for cheeks, chin, and sides of your jaw.
For Sensitive Skin
People with sensitive skin mostly have a weak immune system. For them, an unscented, a hypoallergenic moisturizer would be better suited. Aloe and chamomile are good ingredients to look for in a moisturizer suited for sensitive skin type. You can also benefit by avoiding anti-aging ingredients like retinoids, AHA, etc.
Conclusion on Choosing The Best Facial Moisturizer
Regardless of the skin type, a moisturizer is an important part of your skincare routine, If there’s a facial care step you should never skip, besides washing your face, it’s moisturizing, but having said that your face should always be at the top of your skin care, you only have one face. Maintaining the moisture of your face specifically should be made your priority while caring for your skin no matter how old you are.
I hope you found this post helpful if you have any questions, please leave a message below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.