Skin ages, making the face look dull, tired, and uninteresting. Many immediately pounce on researching the best skin care line available out there which can easily be achieved reading through best anti aging face serum reviews.
But before start looking for the best anti aging serum for face, one needs to recognize the signs and causes of the aging.
Aging of the skin is identified with signs such as thinning of the skin, dry and rough skin, wrinkles, furrows, uneven skin tone, sagging and loss of suppleness, age spots, benign growths, and looseness of skin. Reasons can vary.
There is little that can be done for people with genetic predisposition to such aging. Thankfully, such cases are rare. That said, eventually, the skin will age. Only onset and progression can be delayed and slowed down by using the best anti-aging serums, lotions, creams, gels, and moisturizers.
Factors that lead to aging of skin matter because the selection of product or combination of the product will depend on these factors. Such factors include
- Genetic composition
- Hormonal changes
- Medication and consequent reactions
- Exposure to sun
- Dietary habits
- Lifestyle habits such as smoking
Therefore, creams and lotions like these here that were good enough when a person was young may not suffice as the person grows older, and may have to be supplemented with other skin care products.
Skin being the outermost layer of the body finds it difficult to get the nutrients in adequate quantities in time, especially with age as circulatory organs become weaker and weaker. This leads to cells shriveling up, especially if they do not receive adequate oxygen, nutrients, and hydration.
This shriveling up leads to crumbling of framework inside the skin that holds the cells in place, and relevant protein, i.e., collagen production comes down. Elastin is another such protein which plays an important role in the resilience of the skin, which comes down to age.
Anti-aging skin products such as creams and serums usually have active ingredients addressing such needs of the skin.
The list of ingredients or class of ingredients that can be expected in best anti-aging serums can be broadly divided into:
- Some acids and their salts.
These include Hyaluronic acid, glycolic acid, kojic acid, salicylic acid, and many other alpha hydroxy acids.
Not all of them would be present in all serums, and some may be modified to be complementary with other ingredients in the serum and other skin care products.
Concentrations of acids matters because higher concentrations may actually lead to burning sensation. Acids also vary in their corrosiveness. For example, salicylic acid, which is a beta hydroxyl acid is mild acid when compared to glycolic acid.
These acids and their salts serve as
- Exfoliating agents. They clear the debris on the skin and clear the pores. In the process, the skin looks brighter, cleaner, and breathes more easily.
- New skin cells also are brought to the fore allowing them to get sufficient oxygen, which activates the cell functioning, including regeneration. Such regeneration makes skin look younger and firmer.
- They reduce age spots and pigmentation.
- Acids draw moisture towards them, and this helps to keep skin hydrated, make it plump, smooth, and resilient. In the process, wrinkles and fine lines are reduced, as is itchy feeling.
- Unlike oils and petroleum products, which cover the pores on the skin to prevent further
- Antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-acne.
- Some acids such as p-Aminobenzoic Acid, Phenylbenzimidazole sulphonic acid, serve as sunscreens as do salts such as Trolamine salicylate, and Octyl Salicylate.
- Sunscreens play a crucial role in preventing hyperpigmentation and breaking down of collagen, the protein forming the framework that binds cells in the tissues.
- Antioxidants block free radicals, thereby preventing cells from getting damaged.
Naturally found alternatives include lactic acid, citric acid, apple cider vinegar, and ascorbic acid. In fact, the body produces even hyaluronic acid.
Vitamins – Vitamin A, E, B, and C have a role to play in keeping skin aging away.
- Vitamin A / Retinol – Basically there are derivatives of this vitamin such as Retinol, retinyl esters, retinoic acid. The prescription form is Retin A. This vitamin plays a crucial role in the production of elastin as well as collagen.
- Elastin makes the skin resilient. Collagen becomes the framework in which cells are held in the tissue. Retinol also has a role to play in increasing fibroblasts in the skin, effectively increasing the number of young and active cells that proliferate faster making the skin look younger.In mildly acidic form, it peels off the dead cell layer along with hyperpigmentation, effectively reducing age spots.
- Vitamin E / alpha-tocopherol is for healing the damage that may have been caused by exposure to the sun. It is basically an antioxidant that goes on a rampage to annihilate free radicals released due to sun’s rays. Free radicals work like a small metal ball with a lot of spikes. They break down collagen framework.
- Vitamin B / Niacinamide – Tightens the skin by retaining water. This helps to prevent skin from sagging and makes the skin glow. Vitamin B3 is found to be effective against blemishes on the skin.
- Vitamin C/ Ascorbic acid – Like other acids this vitamin has moisturizing properties and antioxidant properties. It contributes to the function of sunscreens.
- Minerals and chemicals:
Skin cells require many minerals and chemicals, like any other cell in the body. Most of these are obtained from food since the topical application is not likely to break down the compounds into sizes that can be absorbed easily.
In fact, such things are not advisable as well, as pores on the skin can get clogged. However, skin can get help with some chemical and mineral sunscreens like Zinc Oxide, and Titanium dioxide.
Obviously, there are different ratios, and proprietary compounds arrived at after years of research. Many of these compounds are unstable and need other compounds for maintaining their stability.
Moreover, they may have to be used with other skin care products as well, like this one or these which I do recommend which means the effects can vary and there can be adverse reactions due to a combination of products, even if individually,what you consider as the best anti-aging serum has a lot to offer.
To top it all, there are some serums that have compounds like hydroquinone, which are known to be effective against age spots, but still under study for possible carcinogenic nature.
Many serums on the market proclaim they have peptides and minerals that are good for the skin and prevent aging.
The peptides they quote may also be good for skin, but unlikely to travel into the skin because of their sizes. Branded serums are therefore safer than over the counter anti-aging serums.
Best Place To Buy Anti Aging Serums
Like with anything else, people shop in different places, if you shop offline, check at your local beauty store, if you shop online Amazon has a large selection,Murad.co.Uk also has a wide selection for everything and anything you need for your beauty care. Of course, there are other sites like this one here with some brilliant products.
I hope you found value reading my post and you are now well informed on what to look for when looking for products to buy.If you have any questions, please leave me a message below.If you have any questions, please leave me a message below.