Collagen is an ingredient found in your skincare products such as body lotion. It is a protein that is found in abundance in our bodies. Collagen has many benefits. This is the protein that helps in giving strength and elasticity to our skin.
Collagen also helps in replacing dead skin cells. It helps hold our joints and tendons together. With age, our body’s ability of natural collagen production slows down.
This leads to the appearance of signs of aging like wrinkles, loose and sagging skin, weak joints causing pains, and discoloration of the skin.
Other factors lead to depletion of collagen such as unhealthy eating, smoking, and excessive sun exposure. Genetic defects and digestive can also cause problems in natural collagen production.
This can be rectified by adding more collagen to diet by regular consumption of foods such as bone broth and organ meats.
If you don’t find it appealing then there is another solution. You can use collagen supplements.
What Is Collagen Good For?
Collagen contains 19 different amino acids. Collagen is a good way to get more conditional amino acids listed below:
Proline which is almost 15 percent of collagen plays a major role in our body ensuring that it runs well.
It helps in protecting the integrity of blood vessels and improving joint health. Not to forget the various cardiovascular benefits.
It makes around one-third collagen. It ensures that our cells are functioning properly. It helps in building healthy DNA strands. It promotes healthy muscle growth and also boosts energy production.
It can be created within our muscles as well as obtained from food sources. It is beneficial in preventing anxiety, insomnia, and low energy. It has positive effects on the production of growth hormones.
This help in improving the aspects of mental health. It helps in the healing of wounds and prevents the wasting of muscle.
Arginine is commonly known as L-arginine which can break down into nitric oxide. It is important for arterial and heart health. Arginine is also known to improve blood circulation and help in strengthening the immune system. Check other ways to boost the immune system here.
You might like:
Fibroblasts produce collagen. Collagen supplements help supply the fibroblasts with amino acids to reap the benefits.
Hydrolyzed collagens are the most effective in delivering the required amino acids. The process of hydrolyzing breaks down the collagen into a smooth and light powder.
The powder has a low molecular weight. This makes it easier for the system to digest, absorb, and distribute the amino acids.
You can add collagen to your diet by:
- Make it a point to drink a real bone broth. It can be made by using a protein powder that is made from bone broth.
- It can be consumed on its own or you can use it in several recipes. It depends on the type of product you are using.
- The second way to add collagen to your diet is to take collagen supplements.
- A collagen supplement is typically found as hydrolyzed collagen. It helps in the formation of new collagen. It could be either in the form of collagen protein powder or collagen pills.
- When the collagen is hydrolyzed, the collagen peptides break down. They become bioavailable.
- Last but not least is to eat a well-balanced diet. It helps increase the absorption of the collagen peptide.
- There are various types of collagen. Every one of them is composed of different amino acids. It is difficult to figure out which may help can prove tricky.
- Supplements that contain collagen also vary. Usually, when you are buying a collagen peptides powder then you are buying a “hydrolyzed” type-I collagen.
- Research shows that the collagen supplement is related to joint health. It reduces the symptoms of arthritis, The collagen supplements might help in reducing inflammation.
- It reduces pain. However, its effectiveness regarding arthritis and joint pain still stays questionable.
- Collagen supplements can help strengthen gut. The amino acids such as glycine may help in reducing inflammation and aid in digestion problems.
- The collagen supplements are not regulated by the FDA. Therefore, it is important to research the supplements before buying them. Want to learn more about how FDA approves products? read more here.
- You should choose the supplements that have a few simple ingredients.
- Avoid flavored supplements. The added sugar can upset the gastrointestinal tract. Buy a plain version and add a sweetener later if you wish.
- Be sure that the product has a third-party certification because FDA regulation is not there for such supplements.
Conclusion On Collagen Supplements
I hope this post answered your question of what is collagen supplement. The health risks related to collagen supplements are minimal. There is no harm in trying it for two to three months just to see whether it suits you or not.
In the end, food is always a better choice to get the required ingredients into your body than supplements and as you`re already eating anyway, just choose what you eat.
If you have any questions, please leave me a message and I will get back to you.