Excessive exposure to the sun can cause significant and severe damage to the skin. The direct heat exposure of the unprotected skin can deplete the natural lubricating oils of the skin and make it dry. In this post, we will discuss how to treat sun damaged skin naturally.The UV rays of the sun can amount to the occurrence of long-term changes in the skin’s structure and burning.It may lead to wrinkles, redness, uneven skin complexion, and lines. The sun damage speeds up the skin aging and in such case, learning how to heal sun damaged skin becomes essential. The change happens gradually over time and may even be caused by only several minutes of exposure to the sun if the skin is sensitive.
Below we will list the natural remedies for sun damaged Skin
Lemon Lemon contains alpha hydroxy acids and a natural glycolic. It acts as a natural bleach which gently removes the dried and damaged layer of skin cells.The lemon helps in the fading of the skin discolorations and dark spots. Hence, lightening the skin naturally. It helps in new and healthy skin cell regeneration.How To Use:
- Squeeze a fresh lemon into a small bowl.
- Mix a tablespoon of this lemon juice in a cup half-filled with distilled water.
- Stir it and apply the mixture to the affected skin using a cotton swab.
- Wait for 15 minutes or until it dries off.
- Rinse the skin with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process twice a day for 6-8 weeks for an amazing improvement.
(In its dilute form, lemon can cause painful and burning sensation on and after application. If it happens, rinse your skin immediately with lukewarm water. Doing a patch test is recommended before application.)WaterCool water decreases the swelling of skin and pain caused by sun exposure. Cool water can be used effectively for treating sun-damaged skin in following ways:Drinking Plenty Of Water:Keeping body hydrated is important to compensate the loss of moisture from the body and skin. It will speed the healing process.Using Cool Compression:
- Soak a washcloth in a bowl of cool water. Avoid using cold water, an ice pack, or iced water.
- Apply the now wet washcloth onto the affected skin directly.
- Keep it there for a couple of minutes.
- Repeat the process for about 15 minutes multiple times in a day.
Getting Soaked In Cool Water:This treatment helps treat the affected areas of your body that you can’t reach or use cool compression on. Fill the bathtub with cool water and sit in it get soaked for about 15 minutes. You can even take a cool water shower.Milk
Milk is soothing for the skin and has anti-inflammatory properties.
Using the cool milk constricts the blood vessels relieving the swelling of the skin caused due to excessive sun exposure. The protein in the milk helps relieves the pain.
How To Use:
- Mix 1 glass milk with 4 cups of fresh and cool water.
- Add some ice cubes.
- Wet a soft towel with the mixture and apply it to the affected area.
- Keep the wet towel there for about 30 minutes.
- Gently pat the skin dry with a dry clean cloth.
- Repeat the process every 4 hours daily until the symptoms disappear.
OatmealOatmeal does not heal sun damaged skin but it does heal and soothe skin rashes. It, at times, also relieves the pain and discomfort caused by the sun exposure.How To Use:
- Fill the bathtub with cool water.
- Add 3 cups of oatmeal powder.
- Stir well to dissolve the oatmeal properly.
- Soak in the oatmeal bath for about 30 minutes
- Repeat the process 2-3 times a day.
Oatmeal With Milk And Honey
- Grind half a cup of oats to make oatmeal powder.
- Add half a cup of milk and 2-3 teaspoons of honey.
- Now, you mix them well until they form a paste.
- Mix it well to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to the affected area.
- Keep it there for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water properly.
CucumberWith 96% water along with several essential nutrients as its constituents, cucumber is already a great choice for treating sun damaged skin and its healing. It is also a natural antioxidant and has cooling, brightening and soothing effect on the skin.Being rich in vitamin C, it helps in the fading of skin discolorations and the dark spots. It is also useful in treating patchy marks, sunburns, dryness, and dullness of the skin.View other Vitamin C products here.
How To Use:Method 1
- Slice cucumber into pieces and grind it to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to the affected skin.
- Wait for about 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
Or,Instead of this, you can use cucumber slices to place them over the affected skin. Make sure to cover the affected area completely. Keep the slices there for about 30 minutes.Or,
- Make cucumber juice.
- Take a clean washcloth and soak it in the juice.
- Use the washcloth as a cool compress and place it on the affected areas.
- Repeat the process for about 20 minutes.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of wheat flour and 1 teaspoon of applesauce.
- Add fresh cucumber juice appropriately to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on all the affected areas.
- Rinse it off after 15 minutes with water.
- Apply the moisturizer, serum or lotion instantly after rinsing.
- Repeat the process once or twice a week.
Aloe Vera Like cucumber, Aloe Vera is also rich in water with water making 99% of its constituents water. The remaining 1% includes elements and minerals that add to its skin healing properties making it a natural solution for sun damaged skin. It speeds up the natural skin cell regeneration.How To Use:
- Cut a slice from the aloe vera leaf and then cut the leaf open.
- Take the gel out of the leaf into a small bowl.
- Apply the gel to the sun damaged skin.
- Keep it there until it dries on its own.
- Repeat the treatment multiple times a day.
- If your skin gets sticky, rinse it off with cool water.
Coconut OilCoconut oil is rich in vitamin E and fatty acids. They help nourish and moisturize. Vitamin E is also a natural antioxidant that prevents inflammation.Click here to View Coconut oil.Hot To Use:
- Apply coconut oil directly on the affected skin thrice a day. The result can be seen within a couple of days. The stinging and burning will be gone within minutes. The swelling and redness will reduce within a couple of hours of the application.
- Add few drops of aloe vera gel or the lavender oil to make it more effective.
- Rinsing is not required as the oil gets absorbed by the skin.
Herbal Products For Sun Damaged Skin Treatments
Besides the harmful rays of the sun, dust, the skin also gets damaged due to the strong chemicals in the cosmetics. Such products can often cause blemishes, rashes or skin irritation.Therefore, as the alternative to the above mentioned natural solutions and chemical rich skin treatment products, there are several high-quality organics and herbal creams that can be bought for treating the sun damaged skin with similar results.Clarins Booster RepairSpecifically made for special skin care needs such as extreme dryness, age spots, or loose skin.(check an earlier post on removing age spots) This oil is enriched in mimosa tenuiflora plant extract which is a Mayan plant famous for its recovering properties. Add few drops of it into your moisturizer, primer or foundation for an extra boost for skin rejuvenation.It is very effective in treating discomfort and redness caused by sun exposure by soothing the skin. Himalaya Herbals Revitalizing Night CreamThe Himalaya Herbals Revitalizing Night Cream contains herbal extracts to treat skin problems such as dryness, dullness, rashes and sun damage. It helps recover the lost glow and elasticity of the skin.This herbal skin product is formulated using natural ingredients like lemon, apple, wheat, white lily and tomato. Each of these ingredients brings in their specific properties to the table that helps revitalize the skin. Use this night cream daily after the cleaning and toning the skin for better results.It is affordable, even works as a moisturizer and hydrates the skin overnight, and has a mild fragrance.It is not oily and blends well with the skin.Murad Retinol Youth Renewal SerumThe Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Serum can reverse the damage caused by excessive sun exposure such as fine lines, wrinkles, uneven skin tone, dark spots, and the loss of elasticity. It is rich in try-active technology powered retinol that boosts the luminosity of the skin making it look more youthful.Swertia flower extract helps with skin firmness and the hyaluronic acid deep moisturizes the skin. Jurlique Herbal Recovery Neck SerumA gentle recovery cream for skin treatment specifically made to treat the sensitive areas of the skin. Such areas are more susceptible to get damaged due to excessive exposure to the sun. It contains organic herbs, essential nutrients like minerals, vitamins and proteins and also the essential oils. It does not have any chemical substance or any artificial colours/fragrance. It also works as anti-ageing serum and works on returning the skin’s youthful glow by firming up the skin and making it soft. It can be used daily.
Healthy and nutrient-rich diet are vital for healthy skin and its healing. This product boosts the healing to reverse the sun damage to the skin.Rich in antioxidant, its unique formula is hydrating as a cream and concentrated as a serum. The ingredients include cranberry, lemon, Vitamin E, and ginseng. This moisturizer reawakens the tired and dull looking skin and gives it a healthy glow. It can be used for all skin types.
Conclusion On Sun Damaged Skin Treatments
The sun damaged skin is the result of the excessive sun exposure as well as cosmetics which cause the excessive production of melanocytes and the skin cells responsible for producing the melanin pigment. This pigment causes the darkening of the skin making the skin look tanned after being exposed to the sun.There are several ways to heal the sun damaged skin quickly at home. The natural skin treatment help reduce the fine lines and darkened skin areas using herbs, fruits, vegetables, etc. Since the skin types differ for different individuals, it is advised to consult your doctor before using any remedies.When buying herbal products, make sure to check the labels of these products to ensure that they use the least amount of additives. This is because some of these additives can cause stinging and burning sensations after application which will add to your suffering even more. These unpleasant sensations are caused either due to the ingredients of the lotion or the skin dryness. The dry skin itself can be painful, sting or burn. Anyone with extremely dry or sensitive skin should avoid such products with these ingredients: AHAs, Benzoic acid, Lactic acid, Glycolic acid and Azelaic acid