When summer comes, many people wonder how to treat cracked heels and get the perfect beach and flip-flop feet.
Treating cracked heels should not be a mystery as it`s easier than you think.When the skin at the back of your heels turns thick, rough, scaly and calloused, it will start to crack and split, not only are they ugly and unsightly.
If left untreated, the cracks can become infected and turn painful, can limit the time you can be on your feet, or can get so bad that you may need expensive treatment.
Common Causes of Cracked Heels
There are several factors that can cause your heels to crack, but the most common are:
- Prolonged physical activity while on your feet means your feet are supporting your weight leads to cracked feet.
- hard surfaces, or when your feet are very dry.
- Cold weather can also severely dry your skin causing your heels to crack.
- Old age, as we age, the skin loose moisture and this can affect your feet too and make your heels crack.
How To Treat Cracked Heels
The first thing to remember is to be patient, it may take a while to get rid of all that dry unsightly skin on your feet. You can not get rid of it cracked feet overnight, but following these tips on how to treat cracked heels, you should start seeing a difference within a week.
- Soak your feet in a bowl of soapy warm water mixed with 10 drops of Tea tree oil (some people do not like the smell of tea tree oil so l suggest you try a few drops first)for about 10 minutes.After the 10 minutes, dry your feet with a clean dry towel taking care to dry between the toes too to avoid athletes foot.
- If you prefer not to use tea tree oil, you can soak your feet in warm water mixed with lemon juice for 10 minutes as the acid in lemon juice help soften and dissolve some dead skin.
- Use pumice stone or file, I’d suggest electric foot file to scrub away hard skin starting at your heels working your way inwards.just remember not to be too rough, you may do more harm than good to your feet.
- After filing all dead skin away, rinse your feet in clean warm water again not forgetting to pat dry after rinsing.
- Massage in a generous amount of foot cream, this can be bought cheaply at any drug store or at your local supermarket.Just remember not to pinch pennies and try to use your regular moisturizer instead.
- Lanolin works very well for dry skin again can be bought cheaply at any drug store, nothing works better than lanolin on foot.
- Now, remember to make a habit of repeating this process 2x weekly as well as applying cream to your feet last thing in the night before bedtime, if you are worried of all that fatty cream messing up your bed sheets, wear thick woolen socks at bedtime.Or you can get silicone gel socks here.
Do Cracked Heels Treatment Creams Work?
The creams work if you take the time to apply but there is no point applying cream on dead skin.
firstly as said above tackle and get rid of dead skin before applying any foot cream, this way you will enjoy quicker and longer lasting lovely feet and with continued care, you should have feet you are proud of and confident in when in sandals.
But before you achieve the fine lovely feet you are after, be patient and consistent, this regime on treatment cracked heels works, it may take weeks before you see the results you are happy with but if it doesn’t, you should see a qualified podiatrist as they are better qualified to deal with this.