Microdermabrasion is popular skin care treatment because it addresses several skin problems, even though it is primarily for exfoliating the skin.
Exfoliation results in cleaning the dirt and grime accumulated on topmost skin layer.
The process of microdermabrasion is different because crystalline salts are used in the process. There are frequent claims from users about microdermabrasion being effective against aging symptoms such as fine lines and wrinkles.
It is natural to be skeptical because there is a plethora of products describing how they reduce wrinkles, and all seem logical but many fail.
So does microdermabrasion work on wrinkles? The answer to that question would be an emphatic yes, even though the process is merely for exfoliating.
How Does Microdermabrasion work On Wrinkles?
- Understanding Microdermabrasion
For starters, it is necessary to understand what happens when you opt for microdermabrasion. There are two ways to go about it, i.e., one in which microcrystals form the main consumables and the second one uses diamond tips.
Microcrystals are those of salts such as aluminum oxide, common salt, or even soda bicarb. Crystals of these salts are available in various sizes. Ironically, smaller crystals tend to be more abrasive when compared to larger crystals.
The sizes of these crystals are measured in what is known as “grit”. The crystals are integrated with a cream, which is applied to the skin and scrubbed for some time such that the abrasive surfaces of the crystals are able to scratch the grime and dirt on the skin.
Diamond tip uses a synthetically hardened material for the same job, but it is more focused and effective as well. The loosened dirt has pollutants, sebum, and oil from the skin, apart from some “dead skin cells”.
- Relationship Between Wrinkles And Dirty Skin
If such dirt and grime are left on the skin, it blocks the pores and slowly becomes a culture for microbes. It also makes skin appear to be darker than it actually is. Skin, as you know, is also a respiratory organ.
It takes in oxygen and releases carbon dioxide. But if pores are closed, this function is hindered.
Consequently, the skin cells start becoming unhealthy and shrivel down in size, which is one of the reasons of skin acquiring the wrinkled appearance.
The other reason for wrinkles on the skin is inadequate nutrients reaching it. If some of the skins die between the blood vessel and live cells, due to lack of oxygen, then the live cells cannot get required nutrients as the entire process is through osmosis.
Therefore, lack of oxygen or inadequate oxygen reaching skin cells can have a domino effect on the health of all skin cells.
When the dirt blocks the pores, they become larger because of elasticity. When the pores shrink, the skin looks smoother and tighter.
- Microdermabrasion Helps To Give Healthy Skin
Now it becomes easier to understand the relationship between microdermabrasion and healthy skin.
By rubbing the skin with microdermabrasion microcrystals or diamond tip, it is also possible to shake up the skin cells and let the dead cells be dislodged.
Simultaneously, pores on the skin are cleared and let oxygen in. Effectively, cells become healthier and carry out their functions better.
The processes in cell produce important proteins such as elastin and collagen. Elastin, as the name suggests, gives the cells ability to expand and return to original shape.
This is an important property as otherwise, cells would break down and fine lines or wrinkles would appear. Collagen is like the net bag that holds cells in place instead of falling all over the place.
Why Is Microdermabrasion Preferable To Other Types Of Anti Wrinkle Products?
- The process results in internal production of proteins such as collagen and elastin. Therefore, there are no adverse reactions likely towards them, unlike the collagen that is found in anti-aging creams and lotions.
- There are microdermabrasion products that come with ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, and aloe vera extract. Both are good moisturizers. Hyaluronic acid is conducive to retention of collagen
- The process shows results from the first day. Most of the anti-aging products require the person to use them for longer to show such results, and they also require the person to use them regularly. It is not that microdermabrasion is once in a lifetime treatment.
- People do have to use such treatment often, initially, but after the benefits reach the full potential, they can bring down the frequency of such treatment to once in a fortnight or three weeks. Few anti-aging treatments are this effective.
- The process is not confined to nighttime or daytime. Moreover, there are many microdermabrasion products that can be used at home, making it an affordable alternative to some of the anti-wrinkle treatments in beauty salons or dermatologist’s clinic.
- Some of these products include ingredients that focus on wrinkles, age spots, fine lines, and sun spots removal. Ingredients may include some compounds that improve cell regeneration activity as well which make skin look younger and wrinkle-free.
Drawbacks Of Microdermabrasion For Wrinkle Treatment
The drawbacks of microdermabrasion would essentially be related to the reactions of the skin with the salt or abrasiveness of the microcrystals. People with sensitive skin could have problems with the salt’s reaction on the skin.
Different microdermabrasion products are available with different compositions. Milder ones with natural extracts may have to be selected by such people.
There are undoubtedly perceptible anti-wrinkle benefits from microdermabrasion, as mentioned in an earlier post here. With
With the addition of a different combination of ingredients such as jojoba oil, hyaluronic acid, aloe vera extract, red tea extract, apricot oil, grape seed oil, hemp seed oil, vitamin E, fatty acids, sorbitol, sodium polyacrylate, etc., microdermabrasion products have become more comprehensive and versatile skin care products.
Because of such comprehensive skin care and protection, microdermabrasion is now curative as well as a preventive option for wrinkles, offering better results against wrinkles than almost all the available anti-aging products in the market.
It is possible to select a product with ingredients that suit the skin and address all wrinkle-causing factors, thanks to a wider range of microdermabrasion products available now.
I hope my post will help you get a closer understanding how microdermabrasion work on wrinkles, if you have any questions, just leave me a message below.